Since I joined the drunkencoders community I have heard more and more people talking about libnds. After working with palib, which is a DS programming library which uses and simplifies libnds, I feel that it would be nice to learn the real thing. I’ve heard people criticizing a lot of things about palib. I’ve actually considered learning libnds before but I was stopped by the compiler errors I got when trying to compile one of the examples. Today, however, I downloaded the latest libnds version and everything compiles fine. I am especially interested in learning 3d programming after seing some really good-looking examples.
I haven’t had much time last weeks to work on my projects, but I’ve continued programming today. I am considering having the RobinWords game held with the DS turned 90°, like in Brain Age.
The upside-down glasses turned out to be very hard to get. And they would probably not look like normal glasses; it seems like I need two lenses with a bit of space between them, for both eyes. If I manage to find or create such glasses, I will probably not use them in school as I first thought about, because in reports from experiments like this, the subjects couldn’t even walk properly until three days after starting.
Today I heard something really interesting. My physics teacher told me that if you wear glasses with lenses that make everything look upside down in a week, the brain will then adapt to the change, and make the upside down view seem normal. This means that when you take the glasses off, everything will look upside down until you wear the glasses again.
And no, I’m not planning to make a game about this, I am planning to try this out, just for fun. Tomorrow I am going to ask the local optician if they can help me finding such glasses and assure that it isn’t dangerous – I don’t wanna end up seeing the world upside down for the rest of my life :). It will probably bring many difficulties, especially in school when reading, but I hope I’ll sustain it.
As I told you in my first post I work, except programming, with composing game music. For most of the tunes I make, I use the MIDI editor Anvil Studio. Thanks to the web host, I can now share some of the tunes with you on this blog, using a simple audio player.
Here is a tune I made the other day. I will probably use it in one of my games sometime, maybe in the main menu of the isometric game Mee. What do you think of it?
I haven’t been programming a lot lately, but here I release the first beta version of RobinWords DS.
Drag letters with the stylus and press A to show the possible moves and let the computer choose a word. This is only a debugging function, and won’t work in the full release.
- Graphical interface
- Scrolling list of all words used
- Highscore Save
- Title Screen
- Quick Save?
I’ve discovered that I am the kind of person who likes to have many projects at once, and I’ve decided to start another smaller game and pause Mee (the isometric game I posted about) for a while. Have you ever played RobinWords? It is a fun and simple single-player word game. I decided to ask the guy who made it if I could create a DS version of it. He agreed and sent me the game’s big word list. Right now I have written some functions to find a random working word and started with the keyboard, I’ll soon have a playable version ready. Meanwhile, go to the creator’s site and try out the game at http://robinwords.com/game
My latest project is an isometric maze game. It is about collecting gold and getting to the goal without dying. This is the first time I’m utilizing Palib’s 3D sprite system, making it possible to have more than 1000 sprites on screen at once and having bigger than 64×64 sprites. I’m using Palib’s EFS file system to include the levels in the nds file.
Right now I am working with adding water and visible ground. I have considered either having a background underlaying all of the sprites or having one sprite for each part of ground. Here’s a screenshot with sprites as ground:
I plan to add a level editor, and if you would like to help creating levels for the final game, just tell me.
Download the first demo of the game here
or read more about it at the palib forum
I will begin with posting about my first released minigame. It is about a hungry earthworm, trying to get his food, while avoiding the dangerous bird. When eating, it’ll grow bigger, and the goal is to get the length of 30 segments. I included a highscore list so that you can try and beat your own record. My own record is 30 segments in 2:26 minutes. Let me know if you beat it.
To read more about it and download the game, please visit: http://palib-dev.com/forum/index.php/topic,43.0.html
Welcome to my new development blog. In many years I have dreamed of creating my own video games. When I was small I made my own RPG:s in lego and had others playing them with the rules I decided.
Over the years I tried lots of different game creation tools like Game Maker and I also learned C and C++. After buying a flash cart for my DS I discovered the great world of homebrew. Finally I found Palib – a quite simple way of making your own DS homebrew. I was really excited when I saw my first “Hello World” text on my own DS. Now I have finally found a way of creating my own games for the DS. Except programming, I also work a bit with game music. I endeavor to make all the graphics and music in my games by myself. And so far I have succeeded (I’ve only released one game ;)).
In this blog I will post the latest news and previews of my DS games, and maybe some of my music. Hope you enjoy it!